Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide leadership and oversight to the activities of the Operations Department in a quality and nature consistent with the code of ethics of REX Construction Services, which will result in sound owner/contractor relationships, profitability, orderly growth, and continuity.
Provide a rewarding work environment with greater opportunities of growth for all employees. Maintain an environment which will produce increased involvement, cooperation, and teamwork, thereby increasing output and better meeting our clients’ needs. Assist and serve as an aide to the President in the areas of people, planning, marketing, policy, procedures, and operation’s support.
- Maintain direct responsibility for all aspects of projects under their control, including providing directives to superintendents assigned to their jobs.
- Identify possible improved construction methods, as well as potential material suppliers, and subcontractors for projects within his/her group.
- Check Group’s final work to ensure owner requirements are met.
- Coordinate with the President to establish and present to the owner the best management team to meet the owner’s needs. Encourage team members (including subs and design consultants) to provide the best schedule, budget, and quality possible.
- Participate in industry organizations and memberships to promote the interest of the Company.
- Cooperate with and review/assist in Marketing presentations and proposals.
- Oversee and Participate in Business Development strategy and implementation for target Market(s).
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Project Assistants and Superintendents in his/her group.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of procedures to improve sub trade relations including soliciting and working with the Administrative Department to prequalify new subcontractors.
- Provide constant review of progress on all jobs assigned to his/her group. Monitor job cost reports and billing progress for accuracy and timeliness.
- Keep CFO and President apprised of any issues that will affect the profitability of the projects assigned to them.
- Know the details regarding scheduling, profitability, potential legal issues, and all other facets of each job assigned to them in order to report same at monthly senior management meetings.
- Conduct periodic jobsite visits for compliance to contract requirements, including review of jobsite safety and organization of Superintendent’s trailer and files.
- Provide guidance and assistance to all team members, as necessary to ensure quality and profit goals in each project are met.
- Keep President advised of any situations that may have an adverse effect on Company goals, projections, or business decisions.
- Chair Pre-Closeout meeting for projects assigned in his/her group.
- Project Closeout – Assist Project Managers and Superintendents in preparing final punch list, as needed.
- Responsible for all warranty work orders on projects assigned to his/her group. Ensure all work orders are logged on Warranty Log and follow up on each item until completed.
- Maintain, distribute, and charge field offices and equipment.
- Establish positive communication with all current and past clients involved in projects assigned to his/her group.
- Help train new team members for the Operations Group.
- Participate in the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of new team members for the Operations Group.
- Will prepare for Superintendents’ meetings and will represent Superintendents at other departmental meetings.
- Safety – Will conduct periodic jobsite visits in conjunction with REX’s and OSHA’s safe workplace policies.
- Responsible for the development, organization, coordination, and implementation of safety programs, Emergency Action Plans, Hazard Communication Plan, and education. Responsibilities also include Job Site Inspections (Form #329), hazard reduction and/or elimination and accident/injury investigation, reporting and management. Other assignments and responsibilities related to disaster response and risk management complete the role of safety coordinator.
Education and Experience Requirements
Four-year degree in an accredited construction related curriculum and fifteen plus years construction experience in an executive capacity; or a Class A Contractor’s License and fifteen years project management/supervisory experience.